According to Dana at gogoraleigh, a new site plan is under review for 425 N. Boylan Avenue, across from 712 Tucker. A 250-unit mixed-use building will be placed where a pair of early International Style buildings currently are.
Tag: milton small
Our Savior Lutheran Church is an incredibly rare example of an International Style church inside of 440. It won an AIANC award in 1967. The brick wall to the right of the sanctuary was added in 1989.
- Status: In Use, Scheduled for Remodeling FY 2011
- Location: 1313 New Bern Avenue
- Architect: G. Milton Small
The East Branch Library, later the Richard B. Harrison Community Library, was designed by Milton Small and built in 1967. Although distinctly less Miesian in design with more brick and less glass, there are several identifying traits: fine polished wood slabs on the tops of the inside overhang, exposed steel supports, and black glasweld fascia.
The Capital Bank Plaza Building (formerly BB&T) was North Carolina’s first Miesian-styled high rise. It is frequently referred to as the “Little Seagram Building” for bearing a striking resemblance to Mies van der Rohe skyscraper in New York.
The Rockwell Manufacturing Plant was designed by G. Milton Small and Associates and built in 1968. It is unknown if Milton Small designed this building himself, but drawings are not available in the collection at the NCSU Special Collections Research Center.
Although blueprints are not available, the building is listed in a 1971 company brochure, and there are sketches (below) of the building and what a future expansion might look like. The building is now home to Flowserve.