The Richard B. Harrison Community Library – 1967

March 17th, 2011 — 8:35pm

The East Branch Library, later the Richard B. Harrison Community Library, was designed by Milton Small and built in 1967. Although distinctly less Miesian in design with more brick and less glass, there are several identifying traits: fine polished wood slabs on the tops of the inside overhang, exposed steel supports, and black glasweld fascia.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

1015 Wade Avenue – 1962

March 13th, 2011 — 8:53pm

1015 Wade Avenue is now home to LHC Structural Engineers. It is located very near other modernist structures, including the Occidental Insurance Building.

It may have once been a church, based on the brick pattern in front of the glass curtain wall.

Continue reading »

1 comment » | mid-century modern

Occidental Life Insurance Building – 1956

March 12th, 2011 — 4:17pm

The Occidental Insurance building was yet another Cameron Village-area building designed by Leif Valand. It was facing demolition several years ago, but was recently renovated by its new owner.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

Char-Grill – 1960

March 9th, 2011 — 10:33pm

Char-Grill has been a staple of Downtown Raleigh for 50 years. It has been described as one of the few eating establishments in Raleigh where you will see the likes of police officers, elected state officials, college students, and the homeless all dining under the same roof.

Continue reading »

1 comment » | googie style

Ballantine’s Cafeteria Building – 1959 (Demolished)

March 8th, 2011 — 11:35pm

The former Ballantine’s Cafeteria Building located in the modernist enclave of Cameron Village will be demolished this year to make way for “The Residences at Cameron Village.” This one hits close to home, it’s in my neighborhood.

Continue reading »

1 comment » | endangered, prairie school

Capital Bank Plaza – 1965

March 7th, 2011 — 5:18pm

The Capital Bank Plaza Building (formerly BB&T) was North Carolina’s first Miesian-styled high rise. It is frequently referred to as the “Little Seagram Building” for bearing a striking resemblance to Mies van der Rohe skyscraper in New York.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

The Water Garden – 1963 (Demolished)

March 7th, 2011 — 4:52pm

  • Status: DEMOLISHED
  • Architect: John Evans, Dick Bell

Raleigh’s Water Garden was destroyed in February 2011. More information: A Forgotten Treasure: The Raleigh Water Garden.

Continue reading »

Comment » | demolished

401 Oberlin Road – 1957

March 6th, 2011 — 10:34pm

401 Oberlin

Very little is known about this elegant beauty at the corner of Oberlin Road and Clark Avenue. It sits in Cameron Village, and it at high risk for demolition.

Continue reading »

Comment » | endangered, mid-century modern

Rockwell Plant – 1968

March 6th, 2011 — 9:57pm

The Rockwell Manufacturing Plant was designed by G. Milton Small and Associates and built in 1968. It is unknown if Milton Small designed this building himself, but drawings are not available in the collection at the NCSU Special Collections Research Center.

Although blueprints are not available, the building is listed in a 1971 company brochure, and there are sketches (below) of the building and what a future expansion might look like. The building is now home to Flowserve.

Renderings:

image courtesy of and copyright ncsu special collections research center

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

College Station Branch BB&T – 1962

March 6th, 2011 — 7:47pm

This modest BB&T branch is located on the corner of Oberlin Road and Hillsborough Street.

Continue reading »

Comment » | mid-century modern

Back to top