Category: international style


Cameron Village Post Office – 1962

June 12th, 2012 — 7:54pm

  • Status: In use
  • Location: 505 Oberlin Road
  • Architect:  Leif Valand

The Cameron Village Post Office will soon be one of the last remaining large modernist structures in Cameron Village designed by Leif Valand.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style, mid-century modern

1620 Hillsborough Street – 1964

June 12th, 2012 — 7:35pm

  • Status: In use
  • Location: 1620 Hillsborough Street
  • Architect: ?

This small office building is located next to another international style modernist building, 1600 Hillsborough Street.

Comment » | international style, mid-century modern

1600 Hillsborough Street – 1962

June 12th, 2012 — 7:20pm

  • Status: In use
  • Location: 1600 Hillsborough Street
  • Architect: ?

1600 Hillsborough Street at one point in time was a part of the YMCA complex, which currently is across from it.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

NC State Bookstore – 1960 (Demolished)

June 28th, 2011 — 8:32pm

Drawing of the NCSU Bookstore. Image is courtesy of and copyright NCSU Special Collections

The NC State Bookstore has been doomed for a few years, but its plight only became public about a year ago when plans for the Talley Student Center were published. On a muggy day filled with heat lightning and sporadic rain, the original Student Supply Store was demolished. In its place will be a grassy area behind the renovated Student Center.

Continue reading »

2 comments » | googie style, international style

419/425 North Boylan Avenue – 1948 (Demolished)

June 26th, 2011 — 9:52pm

According to Dana at gogoraleigh, a new site plan is under review for 425 N. Boylan Avenue, across from 712 Tucker. A 250-unit mixed-use building will be placed where a pair of early International Style buildings currently are.

Continue reading »

4 comments » | endangered, international style

Our Savior Lutheran Church – 1964

April 7th, 2011 — 6:45pm

Our Savior Lutheran Church is an incredibly rare example of an International Style church inside of 440. It won an AIANC award in 1967. The brick wall to the right of the sanctuary was added in 1989.

Continue reading »

1 comment » | international style

The Richard B. Harrison Community Library – 1967

March 17th, 2011 — 8:35pm

The East Branch Library, later the Richard B. Harrison Community Library, was designed by Milton Small and built in 1967. Although distinctly less Miesian in design with more brick and less glass, there are several identifying traits: fine polished wood slabs on the tops of the inside overhang, exposed steel supports, and black glasweld fascia.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

Occidental Life Insurance Building – 1956

March 12th, 2011 — 4:17pm

The Occidental Insurance building was yet another Cameron Village-area building designed by Leif Valand. It was facing demolition several years ago, but was recently renovated by its new owner.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

Capital Bank Plaza – 1965

March 7th, 2011 — 5:18pm

The Capital Bank Plaza Building (formerly BB&T) was North Carolina’s first Miesian-styled high rise. It is frequently referred to as the “Little Seagram Building” for bearing a striking resemblance to Mies van der Rohe skyscraper in New York.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

Rockwell Plant – 1968

March 6th, 2011 — 9:57pm

The Rockwell Manufacturing Plant was designed by G. Milton Small and Associates and built in 1968. It is unknown if Milton Small designed this building himself, but drawings are not available in the collection at the NCSU Special Collections Research Center.

Although blueprints are not available, the building is listed in a 1971 company brochure, and there are sketches (below) of the building and what a future expansion might look like. The building is now home to Flowserve.

Renderings:

image courtesy of and copyright ncsu special collections research center

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

Back to top