Garland H. Jones Building – 1960 (Demolished)

August 14th, 2012 — 1:27pm

  • Status: Demolished in 2009
  • Location: Corner of Salisbury and Martin Streets
  • Architect: Howard Musick

Originally the First Federal Savings and Loan Building, the Garland H. Jones Office Building was used by Wake County until its demolition in 2009.

Continue reading »

Comment » | demolished

Cameron Village Post Office – 1962

June 12th, 2012 — 7:54pm

  • Status: In use
  • Location: 505 Oberlin Road
  • Architect:  Leif Valand

The Cameron Village Post Office will soon be one of the last remaining large modernist structures in Cameron Village designed by Leif Valand.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style, mid-century modern

1620 Hillsborough Street – 1964

June 12th, 2012 — 7:35pm

  • Status: In use
  • Location: 1620 Hillsborough Street
  • Architect: ?

This small office building is located next to another international style modernist building, 1600 Hillsborough Street.

Comment » | international style, mid-century modern

1600 Hillsborough Street – 1962

June 12th, 2012 — 7:20pm

  • Status: In use
  • Location: 1600 Hillsborough Street
  • Architect: ?

1600 Hillsborough Street at one point in time was a part of the YMCA complex, which currently is across from it.

Continue reading »

Comment » | international style

NC State Bookstore – 1960 (Demolished)

June 28th, 2011 — 8:32pm

Drawing of the NCSU Bookstore. Image is courtesy of and copyright NCSU Special Collections

The NC State Bookstore has been doomed for a few years, but its plight only became public about a year ago when plans for the Talley Student Center were published. On a muggy day filled with heat lightning and sporadic rain, the original Student Supply Store was demolished. In its place will be a grassy area behind the renovated Student Center.

Continue reading »

2 comments » | googie style, international style

419/425 North Boylan Avenue – 1948 (Demolished)

June 26th, 2011 — 9:52pm

According to Dana at gogoraleigh, a new site plan is under review for 425 N. Boylan Avenue, across from 712 Tucker. A 250-unit mixed-use building will be placed where a pair of early International Style buildings currently are.

Continue reading »

4 comments » | endangered, international style

Our Savior Lutheran Church – 1964

April 7th, 2011 — 6:45pm

Our Savior Lutheran Church is an incredibly rare example of an International Style church inside of 440. It won an AIANC award in 1967. The brick wall to the right of the sanctuary was added in 1989.

Continue reading »

1 comment » | international style

First Citizens Bank – 1974

March 27th, 2011 — 8:30pm

The building sits on one of the “points” of Five Points. The exterior is unique for buildings in Raleigh, consisting of a composite exterior and exposed steel supports. Characteristic of mid-1970s design, the building features several angles and less fenestration than the International Style buildings of the late 1960s.

Continue reading »

Comment » | postmodern

NC Automobile Dealers Association – 1963

March 27th, 2011 — 8:09pm

The North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association is one of the few commercial buildings in Raleigh designed by the legendary architect, photographer, and NCSU College of Design professor Brian Shawcroft.

Continue reading »

Comment » | mid-century modern

Corning Glass Works – 1963

March 20th, 2011 — 8:20pm

The Corning Glass Works complex (most recently AVX Corporation) has been empty for the past year or two. There is a sign on the front door dated 2010, but the place looks like it has been vacant for much longer. According to the EPA, this former capacitor manufacturing facility is a superfund site.

Continue reading »

Comment » | endangered

Back to top